The automatic transmission is perhaps the most complicated part in a vehicle—and the second most expensive to replace, next to an engine. Here are some thoughts to keep in mind when it comes to your transmission maintenance from Nightingale Transmissions:
What Causes Transmission Problems?
At their core, transmission problems stem from overheating. This can occur when towing a heavy load, rocking the vehicle in the snow, having continuous stop-and-go traffic in hot weather, and other activities that make the transmission’s work more difficult. At these higher temperatures, the transmission fluid loses its lubricating qualities, which will eventually result in premature failure—and an expensive repair or replacement!
Ways to Prevent Damage.
What’s the good news in all this? Well, taking care of your transmission isn’t difficult at all. In fact, just taking a few extra steps can go a long way in preventing problems with your transmission:
– Never shift to reverse or park until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.
– Always hold your brake pedal down when shifting from park.
– If your vehicle is being towed, be sure your drive wheels aren’t on the ground.
– At every oil change, check the transmission fluid. If it’s low, then there is a leak that needs to be fixed.
– The fluid should be changed as often as your owner’s manual says.
Keeping your Transmission Running.
Bring your vehicle into Nightingale Transmissions to have it looked at by an ASE-certified technician. Regularly servicing your transmission will provide a longer life expectancy, smoother shifting and increased performance!