Summer time in Galva is the best season for the outdoorsman and the hardest season for the car owner—rising temperatures means rising gas prices. Here are some tips to keep your wallet happy this summer rather than feeling the pain at the pump.
- The next time you have your oil changed, have the air filter checked. Replacing a dirty air filter with clean one can save up to 10 percent on fuel costs.
- Check your tire pressure. Filling your tires with the recommend air pressure can increase fuel economy by as much as 3.3 percent.
- Stay up to date with your air filter replacement. A dirty filter can easily decrease your MPG by 1-2 miles. Make sure to have our ASE-certified technicians to check the state of your air filter during your next visit.
- Keep the windows rolled up. If you’re cruising on the highway with the windows down, you will cause an aerodynamic drag that can decrease your fuel economy by 10% because your engine will have to work harder.
- Slow down on long trips. Driving at 60 mph instead of 70 can save you 2-4 gallons of gas over the duration of your trip.
- Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo from your vehicle. An extra 100 lbs. can increase fuel consumption by 1-2%. That can add up with the rise in gas prices.
- Use cruise control. It can be tough in the city, but when you hit the open road, cruise control will keep your car at a constant speed and avoid any unnecessary acceleration that can waste gas.
One of the easiest ways to make sure you maximize your gas mileage is to stay up to date with your preventive maintenance needs. Our ASE-Certified technicians at Nightingale Transmissions are more than happy inspect your vehicle and help you understand what you can do to you improve your MPGs. Stop by our auto repair shop in Galva or call us at (620)-654-3445 to set up an appointment today!